Why does the sentry bring Antigone to Creon despite knowing she will be executed? Is the death penalty a fitting punishment for Antigone's crime? Explain. How does she defend herself?
The sentry chooses to turn Antigone into Creon because he knows otherwise he will be killed. As we know, Creon told the sentry that if no other person was found or caught sprinkling the dirt over Antigone's brother, then the sentry would be executed. The sentry turns Antigone in after he sees her do the act even though she tries to do it as sneaky as she can. I personally do not believe that executing Antigone is a filling punishment for her act, although it could have been a reasonable punishment in the time period that the book takes place. Creon must still fulfill his words and even though she is family, he must execute Antigone because he believes land is more important than family. Creon believes that what he is doing is right while Antigone knows that she is doing the right thing by supporting her brother and will be awarded in heaven. Antigone defends herself saying that the gods agree with her and every person in the town does, too. she says that Creon has "silenced" them because they are afraid. Antigone does not seem scared from her actions. She is a strong girl that we can all learn from. I cannot wait to see what happens next in the book!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with everything you said. I especially like what you said about how Antigone defends herself by saying the gods agree and so do all the people in town. Great answer!:)
ReplyDeleteI thought that your answer was great! I agree with everything that you said. I liked how you mentioned how Creon has "silenced" the other people from stating their opinions. I think that if Creon had not "silenced" the other people they would state their opinions more often.
ReplyDeleteThis is grrrrrr-eat! I agree that we can all learn from a strong woman like Antigone. I also agree that execution is not the answer, it's merely a pride issue for Creon. FABBBO!
ReplyDeleteLove, Meaghan <3